You are What you Buy
guest ID is your consumption transcript
supplemented by demographic data and credit ratiinng
habits are hard to change
behavioral psychology can tell us how and why the do
How did Target come to Target?
The Rise of Big Data
Looking for Lifestyle groups
from mass marketing to targeting
marketer look for opportunities to slice and dice
Broadcast TV advertising less effective
Need to engage through affective bonds
Shaping the total entertainment package
- Digitizing Social Identity
- You are what you Buy
- Joseph Turow, Breaking Up America: Advertising and the New Media World (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1997) ch. 8, “Image Tribes,” 184-200.
- Henry Jenkins, “Buying into American Idol: How We Are Being Sold on Reality Television" in Convergence Culture: 59-93 Buying Into An American Idol
- Chris Anderson, “The Long Tail,” Wired Magazine The Long Tail
- Cynthia Chris, “Discovery’s Wild Discovery: The Growth and Globaliztion of TV’s Animal Genres": 137-57 in Sarah Banet-Weiser, Cynthia Chris and Anthony Freitas, eds., Cable Visions Discovery's Wild Discovery
Make a note of where you see advertising through the course of your day - on billboards, magazines, television, online, etc. Which ads are the most appropriate for you? How do you think that advertising has pegged you so accurately or inaccurately?