How did we get from SAGE to personal computing?
Apple vs. IBM and Microsoft
How the PC became the people’s computer
The countercultural origins of Firefox
- The Cold War Digital Network
- Smashing Hierarchies
- **Fred Turner, From Counterculture to Cyberculture: Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network, and the Rise of Digital Utopianism: 28-174
- Isaacson, Steve Jobs, ch. 1, "Childhood," pp. 5-11 Childhood; ch. 3, "The Dropout," pp. 33-41 The Dropout; ch. 5, "The Apple I, pp. 56-70 Apple 1; and ch. 15, "The Launch," pp. 159-170 The Launch
- Hughes, “Technology as Systems, Controls, and Information,” in Thomas P. Hughes, Human-Built World: How to Think About Technology and Culture (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2004), 77-110
- Hughes, Rescuing Prometheus, ch. 6, "Networking: ARPANET," pp. 255-300. ARPANET
- Fail-Safe (1964)
- Write a one page essay on the legacy of the counterculture that influences your life the most today.